For some, countryside is the place where you want to go only to escape from the city from time to time, to take a break from your routine and see something different. Some of us might like only visiting the countryside but we can’t imagine ourselves living in a village or in a more remote place. The city is the only place we know and it is what we love: the noise, the agglomeration, having all the facilities close to us, the cafes, the restaurants, the clubs, the museums, the events… Everything is right under our eyes.
For the rest of us, countryside is our whole life. We went to the city and experienced a new lifestyle. It was difficult and we missed so many things. But we learnt to enjoy what the city can give us: a big university, new people, new experiences, job opportunities, cultural events, parks, eating with friends in fancy restaurants etc. However, when we went back home to our little apartment the world seemed so big and we felt lonely sometimes. Some days we opened our laptop and watched that Korean show, House on Wheels, and we dreamt about travelling around the world or going to the forest, to the mountain, to a beautiful village where you can breath the nature. We felt like living again while watching so much green on that little screen. We were so thirsty to feel as part of the nature, to see flowers and to be us the ones who plant and grow them. We dreamt to make barbecues or picnics in our back yard or to go read or study in the orchard. We were tired and we needed to rest. And so one day, we went back home where our hearts longed going.
It wasn’t going to be easier to live in the countryside, but we loved the peace and the things we could do for the nature and what the nature had to give us. We went to the mountain and we became part of the huge world called nature. We grew the food we ate and we became more responsible and more intentional in everything we did. We did yoga in the yard when the weather was nice and we took sunbaths that made our day. We were surrounded by flowers all year round and even when it was difficult weeding and digging we were happy to do something that would create beauty and peace. We ate fruits from our garden and orchard and we promised to work harder the next year. We enjoyed listening to the birds singing and we felt the peace after the rain stopped while watching huge colored rainbows. We could see the stars and we promised that one day we would learn more about stars and constellations. We ate breakfast, lunch and dinner outside when the weather was nice and we drank coffee on the balcony in the morning. We worked so much during the day and we had not the time or where to go to see a movie. We had no restaurants or cafes but we enjoyed our peaceful life and we did our best to develop ourselves, to change and grow even here where we had not so many things, and yet we had everything and more.
The countryside is beautiful in any season and I personally learnt to accept and love all the aspects of living in the countryside. Living in the countryside has advantages and disadvantages as any other thing. But if you choose to listen to your heart and to go in that place where your heart wants to go you will embrace the difficulties and you will learn a lot about yourself because this is what hardships do to us humans. Today I want to share with you the main reasons I love living in the countryside and to share a few pieces of the spring we have around here. Let’s go 🙂
1. The air. I live in a village quite close to the mountain and I have to tell you that the air is so much cleaner and I felt this way the first day I came back from the city where I used to live. I love the freshness of the air especially after a short rain or when I go to the mountain or the forest. I am grateful that we have clean air (as clean as it can be these days) and I learnt to appreciate so much the things that we cannot see but that are so much more important than everything else that we can actually see.
2. Birds singing. I am in love with this beautiful music and I can’t describe my feelings and the peace I feel when listening to their chirping. In the city it is not possible to hear the birds singing, unless you live in an area that is far from the traffic and it has more trees or a park close to it. What I couldn’t hear when I was living in the city is the birds’ singing during the night. After so many years I could hear the birds singing even at night. I was mesmerized and I think it is one of the most beautiful music I have ever heard.
3. Spring. Countryside in the spring is one of the most beautiful things that exist. The trees put their most refined outfit and they send out the sweetest perfume that cannot be reproduced even by the most renowned perfumers. The mountain is still covered in snow, but here in the village you can see the trees blooming, the grass growing as green as ever, and the flowers confidently coming out to show their beauty. Spring is the time when the whole world becomes a festival: a festival of life and beauty.
4. Flowers. If you read my articles, you know that I am in love with nature, with trees and flowers, and that I have waited for spring to come especially because I wanted to see and to smell the flowers again. I have friends that love flowers as well and guess what our main subject of discussion is nowadays :)) We send each other photos with what we’ve done in the garden and what new flowers we’ve planted. I love to plant trees and flowers and I feel like this way I can somehow contribute to the environment.
5. Surrounded by nature. Well this one is pretty obvious, but I feel like I can travel even if I go up on the hill or to the mountain because there are so many places I have never been to before. There are so many places to explore and they all look different depending on the season.
There are so many things you can do around the house, in the garden, in the orchard. I am extremely active and there are a lot of things to do, a lot of beautiful things to create or to grow. I became more creative and I feel less stressed compared to when I was living in the city. I feel I can do more and feel more useful to this world and to the environment. I can do something new everyday and I am able to create the change that I want for myself. Life is simpler in the countryside so you become more creative in finding new things to do and new experiences to try. However, the most important things for me is how the time slows down here. What I mean by this is that you can enjoy more the little things that would have passed unobserved otherwise and they become your happiness.
I hope you’ve enjoyed this virtual tour I have created for you and I hope your days are filled with sun and flowers. Let me hear from you in the comments.
Have a lovely spring, dear readers 🙂